Advertisement

hi and, a thought.

topic posted Tue, July 26, 2005 - 12:51 AM by  rivervision
Share/Save/Bookmark
hi all,
i'm new to tribe, and therefore new to this particular tribe. anyhow, i'm brooke, i've been a uu since i stepped foot in the uu fellowship of athens, ga in 1996. i'm currently a member of the uu church in eugene, oregon.

anyhow, i joined to find virtual fellowship with other uu's and to participate in discussion about this faith we've all decided to identify in some way with. i'm looking forward to participating in discussions and hearing what other uu's have to say about issues and our own practice of faith. i find that our particular practice doesn't have any strict dogma and while i love that about being a uu, sometimes i find myself seeking out a bit more structure than what we have in place. sometimes i wish i could pick up a book and have it tell me exactly what to believe. and while i know that is the antithesis of being a uu, it is what i seek at times.. anyhow, its just a thought i have.
posted by:
rivervision
Utah
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: hi and, a thought.

Tue, July 26, 2005 - 7:01 AM
    Hi Brooke and welcome!

You are not alone in your views. One of the most difficult things about being a UU is trying to describe it to someone unfamiliar with it. And...when you do you run the risk of being incorrect or offending someone. Not unlike other denominations, UU house's of worship differ from one another as well. In another post I provided a ten point summary from the UUA and have come to realize that our greatest difficulty lies in expressing our views yet being tolerant of others (who are usually not tolerant of us nor have to be). Another issue lies in assumptions made by members of the congregation. If we are liberal then we do not deviate from liberal views, right? Technically we can be moderate or conservative but if and when we are, many are outraged. My last congregation was so uptight that we couldn't even say "bless you" when someone sneezed. We had to say 'Gesundheit!' (LOL) I personally like guidlines for two reasons. One is that I am less likely to offend or hurt someone and two; it prevents a bunch of dominant UU control freaks from running amock. My last congregation is in such bad shape that they can't even find a minister to preside. This is indeed a problem. You are also run the risk of misunderstandings like the scenario Drew presented in another posts where a Wiccan group came in and bashed Christianity. While they are allowed to express their views in summary point 1, they did not express religious tolerance as per summary point 2. Quite frankly even this board is dead which I find highly unusual for UU's to be so quiet so what I suspect is that either some are afraid to comment for fear of saying the wrong things or many are indifferent which presents another problem. I see this trend in the congregations as well, only the outspoken speak and the quiet remain in the back until one day when they decide to not return and the rest of the congregation wodners to itself why they lost such a 'good' member.
  • Re: hi and, a thought.

Thu, July 28, 2005 - 12:30 PM
    Having been raised in a faith with a strict dogma, what I love most about being UU is that we are actively encouraged to seek out the intersections between faiths and to reconcile our beliefs within that panoply. Since we start with the presumption that no one faith is "right," it naturally flows that no faith is "wrong."

This doesn't mean that I accept everything, but the purpose of the Association is to empower the individual to come to those conclusions for themselves.

Recent topics in "Unitarian Universalist"